Monday 13 January 2014

No. 5

New Year... No Longer 'Next Year'


Good evening!

I'm going by the theory that the less you hear of me, the more you will want to read the next instalment... However, conventional wisdom in social media spheres suggests that the opposite is true, we are a greedy culture and will get bored and move onto something else - god forbid another fundraising marathon runner's literary effort. (Don't you dare). ;) Apparently blogging is now a competitive sport too...

Talking of competition, I had a mental struggle this weekend with the concept of going for a long 'easy' run. I have never put those two last words together. A run is a run for a reason. It is not easy. It requires effort and sweat. And sometimes wheezing lungs and one of those really deep coughs that comes from the depths of your chest and causes one to believe a cold might be developing, but no. It was just the air sacs clearing out that gunk that hasn't been reached in a while.

So, an 'easy' run. I consulted my training plan's definition: "You can speak in complete sentences, totally conversational, you’re running relaxed, enjoying it and not worrying about the watch." More questions. I have never conversed while running, nor enjoyed it especially, and I have definitely always checked my watch to make sure I was running to pace and calculating how long I had left. It sounded like a very liberal approach and one I was not entirely comfortable with. Nevertheless, I threw caution to the wind, basically because I love a plan and can't bear to divert from it, so an easy, conversational run I must complete. The boy agreed to have me tag along on with him for this expedition into the unknown. And he endured my conversation. And the slow pace. For 120 mins. Actually, he ducked out after 100 and left me high and dry. Was I meant to converse for 20 mins alone? I couldn't take that level of liberality but somehow managed to make it home without pacing or burning up the paths of Clapham Common with my awesome speed that had been restrained for the past 10 miles. (not.) 

Dare I say it, I think it was marginally enjoyable. Or maybe it was the feeling afterwards that leaves me with a warm glow and a sense of achievement. The point of running slowly, I believe, is that thinking of the opposite, running fast for 2 hours, and trying to build on that every week would be very difficult and completely exhausting. Risk of 'burn out' I believe they call it. So running slowly helps build up endurance incrementally and much more sustainably, methinks. Or maybe it was the cake I devoured later that day. And the next. Heard of the 'After Burn Effect'? Look it up. 

Unfortunately this step up in training means that I am receding into social hermit-crab territory. I ducked out of a friend's party on Saturday night after just a couple of hours at the bar for fear of a cold developing and making sure I was well rested for the Sunday run. Worst case scenario, this blog becomes my sole social outlet. Good luck. 

On a more serious note, the fundraising is going well (thanks for asking). I have raised over £300 from my Supper Clubs so far and am really chuffed with how its going, so keep coming! Another two booked in next week and more to be confirmed. Just get in touch if you would like me to cook for you soon. :)

Bye for now!

Morty x

'OMG Where's the Protein Salad' pictured below:
Goats cheese, beetroot and sweet potato chip salad with balsamic glaze




No comments:

Post a Comment