Sunday 15 December 2013

No. 4

Sunday Night Blues... and other things

Sunday night back at home. Fire's on, a roast in the oven, wine in hand, rain patter on the windows. Dreamy. Until you remember that in a few hours the bed beckons and the weekly cycle starts again.

This is similar to the endorphin-infused feeling I get post-run/gym session. Just as I'm enjoying a well-deserved 'refuel', i.e. a large meal, and probably some pudding, it hits. I have to do this all again tomorrow. And the next day. Not the next day though (rest day according to training plan), but the one after that too.

I am told variety is the key. I discovered this involuntarily earlier in the week when I attempted to repeat an interval session from the week before. I had run 5x1000m at lunchtime, with 90 seconds rest in between each rep. This week I tried to squeeze it in before work, aware that it would be wise to earn a calorie debt with the evening I had planned. So I rolled out of bed at 6.30am, literally goading myself, 'it will be over soon, think of your reward tonight, it's probably not that cold or dark outside. They have street lamps. Just put your trainers on. Nearly there. Keys and go.' Back to the point. I attempted to perform the same session half asleep and having not eaten since the night before. I'm not sure what made me think I could get the same lap times. I actually think I went out faster. In any case, I had to (cringe with shame) walk. Then run a bit again, and then stop. 4 to go. This is how it went: another lap trying to be Mo Farah and failing miserably, then accepting that my legs and lungs were not made in Ethiopia, and the final three I actually ran the whole lap, at increasingly fast speeds. So not a complete disaster, but I learnt a lesson. Don't run with ear muffs. Kidding. Keep it realistic, and perhaps a shorter sprint session would have been more appropriate. Repeat sessions are good to test improvement, but its probably best to do them under similar conditions - a 'fair test' as my Year 5 science teacher would say (thank you Mrs Proctor).

Next week I am planning on attending one of the Clapham Chasers running sessions. I joined recently but due to various festive activities my attendance has been sporadic. Unfortunately this means my improvement as been less than noticeable. I find myself at the back of the slowest group as we do 5 x 1200m followed by 1 x 400m. I couldn't possibly be more last. As a self-proclaimed athlete, this is somewhat of a shock. (ish). I knew these people existed, these serious semi-pro runners. But there are so many of them. And I am so last. Even worse, while the official rest time between laps is 90 seconds (or thereabouts), I have barely finished my lap before they set off again. It has made me re-consider my position in the rankings of the sporting elite. My lesson here: attend more sessions. Stay with the pack. At least for the first lap. 

Meanwhile, my fundraising is going full steam ahead. Two supper clubs down and one drinks party (thanks to Nicky B). Two more before Christmas and no casualties just yet. That I know about. Perhaps my guests are too polite. Unfortunately I was too slow on the camera front to provide much evidence of the delicacies I produced, but rest assured, they were amazing. Obviously. ;) Summon your senses to imagine the following:

- Chilli roasted cashews
- Celeriac chips
- Feta and Cucumber bites
- Turkey and chestnut burgers with cranberry dip
- Sweet Potato & Goats cheese wrapped in parma ham (winner. If it was a competition. Which it is. Everything is a competition.)
- Coconut cashew fudge (note to self, sticky fingers if left out for more than 5 mins in a festively warm room of merriment). 

A couple of tasters:


These events are open to all - just let me know when you would like to organise one for you and your friends, or bring me in to cater your dinner party / drinks. Diary for January and Feb needs filling up :)

Bye for now!

Morty x

No comments:

Post a Comment