Thursday 6 February 2014

No. 6

www.justgiving.com/madeleine-mortimer1


Altitude Training in Alpe D'Huez 

(aka Ski Holiday)

Taking a leaf out of Mo's book, I am embarking on some red-blood cell boosting training in the mountains. Apparently he is returning a few days before the London Marathon to optimise the benefits of this method. While I would love to stay here another 10 weeks (9 weeks and four days but who's counting...), I think the chalet hosts would notice when their secret chocolate stash (yes, I found it) and the contents of the wine cellar/larder depleted faster than the appetites of their guests in the coming weeks. That is assuming I could hide myself convincingly well. Not too many people used the spa. Maybe I could sleep in the jacuzzi. Nevermind the wrinkles. My alternative plan is to take a blood sample and then re-inject myself a day or so before the dreaded day. But I do not believe that is strictly legal, is it Lance. 

A few first impressions of the mountains. 
1. Controlled avalanche bombs. Felt I was in the Hunger Games. I looked around for mum. She was still meandering down behind. Phew. We survived that one. 
2. They call it a ski holiday, an 'active' holiday. I reckon about 75% of the time is spent on your bottom: on the slope, on the chairlift, in the bar. Glute work getting up and down perhaps?
3. Cheese and wine. Everything else is supplementary.

The term 'altitude training' needs a bit of tweaking. It's more akin to a holiday whose main activity is skiing, eating, skiing, more eating, drinking, and a bit of training, when I remember, in moments of particular self-loathing. Yesterday a blizzard came over us, it was like looking at a white sheet. Couldn't tell the sky from the snow. No possibility of skiing and certainly not running. 

Unfortunately my training plan thoughtfully allows for moments like these. They broadly name it 'cross-training', i.e. any form of exercise that is not running. Being the obedient pupil I am, (bearing in mind my 'coach' is essentially a piece of paper on which my training plan is set out, my ability to stand up to any level of authority is apparently nil), I decided to see what I could do to complete a session in these challenging conditions. 

Enter a 1.5m x 3m chalet balcony: sheltered from the billowing blizzard and a flat decking area for some spatially-economic exercises. Perfect place for some short bursts of high intensity circuits. HIIT. All the rage in the fitness world at the mo. What I managed probably doesn't quite fall into this category but I was quite pleased with my efforts. I whipped up this plan in between revision sessions - the only thing that exercise trumps: studying. Did I mention I am revising for exams? Thought so. Did I mention that I am on 'holiday'? Yeah. Not so much. A mind and body camp with a good view, afternoon tea, and a sauna thrown in. (Ok fine this is a lot easier when there is a G&T and a lovely meal waiting for you courtesy of the brilliant chalet hosts, cheers Hayley, Andy and Tom) hashtagFirstWorldProblems. 

Morty's Marathon Circuit Class No.1 (this assumes there will be more... let's see)

1 min, 45 secs & 30 secs circuits; no rest between exercises; 3 mins between circuits

Running with hands leaning against the wall (knees up)
Squats
Mountain climbers (plank position, alternate knees up to chest)
Leg raises (think dog doing a whizz raising leg up behind you...HashtagGlam)
Burpees
Side plank (with upper leg and arm mirroring running movement)
Jump squats
Front plank (lifting knee to chest/opposite elbow, hold for half the time and switch)
Walking duck (literally squat with heels on the floor and try to walk. Backwards is a far harder challenge. But quite funny. For spectators)
Lunges (backwards/forwards)
Box jumps (or just as I did, jump as high as possible on the spot, turning 45 degrees each time)
Press ups

End. Drink lots of water. And more. And eat loads. 

The idea was to squeeze in a quick session that would use a wide variety of muscle groups, alternating between aerobic and strength exercises which are short enough to keep up the work rate and my focus. I admit I actually only did 1 min and then a 40 second circuit but otherwise I would have been late for dinner. And I could taste my steak hache frites from lunch. 4 hours earlier. 

Just want to say thank you very much to the hosts for a great week so far and the company in the chalet has been great. A special thanks to Gillian and Paul for seeking out my just giving page before I had a chance to share the link! Amazing support.

Love from a cold(er) climate

Morty x

No comments:

Post a Comment