Sunday 3 November 2013

No. 1

T minus 161 days

By way of a brief intro, I have a place on the London Marathon 2014. Whether I actually run it will depend on the next 5 months. Here I intend to document that period. The ups, the downs, the challenges and the successes, bla bla bla. As well as tips I pick up along the way and things I learn that will hopefully be useful for others. If you have any nuggets to share please feel free to add comments below. Or anything to share (blogs can feel a bit lonely...). 
I have been dead against running the marathon for years. Too far, too boring, apparently you are shorter at the end than at the start (I realise starting at 5 ft 6 3/4 isn't particularly short to start with, but I am the smallest in my family so I would like not to extend the gap more than necessary), the chaffing, the blisters, I could go on. And I am dreading the 'dark months' of endless training and tiredness.

So why the change of heart? Well. I'm not entirely sure, as all the above still apply. Possible factors in my decision:

  1. I was in and then out and then in again.

Explanation: Applied through the ballot (in the post-2013 marathon inspiration - see point 2; ex-housemate told me I got the letter and was in.
First thought: S**t. This might mean I actually have to go through with this. 
4 days spent coming to terms with this reality - spoke to those who had done it. Most memorable comment from a past runner: "I am jealous, sort of." 
Day 4 I actually opened this letter and it was one of consolation, not congratulation.
First thought: Expletives aimed at ex-housemate who had made me go through the mental turmoil of coming round to the idea to then have it taken away again in an instant. 
Second thought: I have to go through with this now. 
So I applied through a charity. Thank you Whizz Kidz (more on them in the next post).

2. I watched the marathon for the first time in 2013 (Go J Nev)  

I was overwhelmed by the atmosphere. There is no other way to explain it. I believe this feeling must be multiplied many times over for those actually taking part.

3. In that event, I saw plenty of people that I assume I am fitter than. 

The only way to justify my arrogance is to put my money (or legs) where my mouth is.

4. I have not faced up to the harsh reality of training. 

Minus temperatures, in the dark, before the birds awake and when the working day looms long ahead.

5.  The natural next step...

Having completed a number of events this summer, like triathlon, duathlon and half marathons (oh stop!). Although I might be a little delusional about how far a marathon actually is.

6. I read 'Running Like a Girl' by Alexandra Heminsley. 

Sort of refers back to point 2. But perhaps you would like to watch this to see what I mean:

7. I like challenges. 

It is not the taking part, it is the completion, and the feeling of the warm shower and dull ache in your legs when you know you have worked hard and earned that second helping of pudding.

So the basic message here is that I am in, and despite my better judgment, I will be going through with this somehow.

Next installment coming soon. Maybe with a selfie video. If i work out how to do that.

Best,
Morty x

Cheeky plug: 
http://www.justgiving.com/madeleine-mortimer1 

1 comment: